Corn Patent and PVP Information System
Corn Patent Information System (CPIS) is a web-based query system designed to allow users to obtain information from the underlying field corn patent and PVP database using a set of query parameters designed to provide reports specific to the query(s) made. An overview report is produced for a given query, and drill-down information is provided (as available) for each specific entry in the report. Information is available for:
- Variety name
- U.S. patent number
- PVP certificate number
- ATCC accession number of inbred or hybrid varieties
- Patent and/or PVP certificate assignee (owner of the patent or PVP)
- Patent application, issue, and expiration dates
- PVP application, issue, and expiration dates
- Relative maturity
- Heterotic classification of inbred varieties
- Parental pedigree of inbred varieties
- Male or female use of inbred varieties
- Other inbred varieties with which to cross to make hybrids
- Disclosed name of hybrids made with inbred varieties
- Female (seed) and male (pollen) parents of patented hybrid
- Hybrids with a common parent
This database contains only field corn germplasm. It does not include patented nor PVP-protected sweet corn or popcorn germplasm.
The underlying database for this web site is updated weekly, which means you have continuous up-to-date access to maize patent and PVP information. Free limited trial subscription service is available to provide an opportunity to become familiar with the system before fully subscribing to CPIS service. Trial subscription allows access ONLY to search tabs for Hybrid_Patents_Issued_in_Last_28_Days and Inbred_Patents_Issued_in_Last_28_Days. For access to the complete database, a membership subscription is required. To use the features of this web site, click on a tab pertaining to the kind of information that you are searching. (Often the same information may be obtainable via more than one tab!). Most tabs contain several query option boxes. The steps for making a query are very simple.
- Put query information into any or all boxes, or don’t put information into any boxes at all.
- Then click SEARCH. Results for your search are displayed on a summary screen.
- Click View Details to open a screen displaying more detailed information regarding that particular entry in the summary screen.
For example, say you wish to know the corn hybrid patents issued in the last 28 days. From the “Make a Search” menu tab, click on the tab labelled Hybrids_Patented_in_Last_28_Days. In this query tab there is only one input box available – Patent Assignee, which refers to the owner of the patent. If you wish to know ALL hybrids patented in the last 28 days, leave this box blank, and click SEARCH. The resulting screen will list ALL corn hybrids for which patents were issued in the last 28 days. If you wish to know only hybrids from a particular company for which patents have been issued in the last 28 days, then enter the name (or part of the name) of the company or institution which filed the patent. The resulting screen will list only the corn hybrids from that particular company for which patents have been issued in the last 28 days.
Bear in mind the more query information that is entered into the query box(es), the more restrictive the search will be. If the query information is too restrictive, the resulting screen will indicate “NO RECORDS FOUND”. If this happens, you might try relaxing the query restrictions slightly in order to obtain desired information.
It is strongly suggested that you read the Definitions and Information page before completing any searches, in order to allow you to better understand the specific information obtained from your search. Happy searching!